Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Seal Hunt

In a recent class, we learnt about the seal hunt. Going into that class, my thoughts on the hunt included the words 'disgusting', 'unneccessary' and 'cruel'. I'll admit that I knew next to nothing about the hunt before that class. All I knew came from the media coverage - various celebrities campaigning against seal killings, the pictures of cute baby seals, the pictures of those seals having their heads smashed in by a guy with a pick-axe and blood everywhere.
In the class, we learnt about the myths of these hunts, and the facts. It changed my mind. My thoughts on leaving the class were that the hunt is controversial but still widely over publicized.
From what I learnt, it seems that the seal hunt is near the same as, if not less inhumane, than some methods of cattle farming. The hunters do it for the same reason farmers raise cattle - its a way of life, a tradition, and a source of income. The way in which the seals are killed is humane compared to some of the things done to cows in slaughterhouses - a fast, strong whack on the head, an instant death. Also, baby seals are not allowed to be killed. The only seals to be hunted are those that are independent.
So why is the plight of seals covered more widely than the plight of cows? In my opinion, it's because a baby cow is not as cute as a baby seal. Also, because most humans love a good beefburger. The use of seal meat/organs/etc is not as widespread as is beef. We are not as quick to defend something that can be used so easily....

No comments: