Sunday, November 23, 2008

Not Quite Pirates of the Carribean...

There's been a lot of talk in the press recently about pirates taking hostages and holding ships to ransom off the Somalian coast. At this minute, they are holding a Saudi oil tanker holding $100 million worth of oil.
Once again, this shows my inability to move past ideals that are obviously not correct or plausible... but everytime I hear the word 'pirate', I think of Jack Sparrow, the Black Pearl, and all those images that relate to a completely different century to what we live in today. My ideals of swashbuckling swordfights and treasure chests do not match up at all with the modern speedboat-and-gun realities. That's why I had a hard time taking these recent news stories seriously at first. The idea of pirates in a modern world seems almost comical, when in fact, I'm sure it is pretty scary.
The Somalian pirates are expected to have made around $150 million already this year. So obviously, they are to be taken seriously....

No comments: